ARTWORKS

BIOGRAPHY

Born in Chartre in the Indre region of France on the eve of the First World War, Georges Coulon (1914-1990) attended the School of Applied Arts and the distinguished National School of Fine Arts in Paris. He undoubtedly was the most brilliant student of Henri Bouchard.

Thanks to his technical mastery and creative talent, Coulon stood out quickly amongst his peers and obtained the ‘Casa Velasquez’ award just before the war. However due to the tumultuous global events, Coulon’s stay in Madrid was cut short.

By the end of the Second World War, Coulon’s awards and professional success continue to reinforce his determination as a figurative sculptor; however little by little during the 1950’s, the dwindling interest of the public for such art in favour of the abstract leaves him feeling a sense of desperation.

Towards the end of the 1960s, in a fit of anger, Coulon ended his career as a sculptor to devote himself to a lucrative life as a painter in the “Flemish Manner”, through which he once again demonstrated his talent as an artist.

This crisis, however, causes the destruction of a part of Coulon’s work. Meanwhile, his wife and friends (including the ever-loyal Volti), well aware of the importance of his work, secretly helped to restore and conserve his work in the years to follow.

It was after much time had passed and Coulon’s fortune had been made that his wife finally revealed her secret of preserving his works, he was absolutely thrilled. Coulon’s wife is therefore accredited in rediscovering an excellent sculptor, whose works although limited, are both powerful and elegant.

Coulon’s sculptures are finally made available to Collectors who have received the delayed news with extreme enthusiasm for almost fifteen years now.

EXHIBITIONS

No items found

PUBLICATIONS

No publication found