ARTWORKS

BIOGRAPHY

A son of a carpenter, Henri BOUCHARD (1875-1960) studied at the ‘Ecole des Beaux-Arts’ of Dijon before being trained at ‘Studio Barrias’ in Paris.
Having won the prestigious ‘Prix de Rome’ in 1901, he stayed at the ‘Villa Medici ’ before travelling to other Mediterranean countries.

Interested by his new surroundings, he moved on from the classical antique subjects towards a search of a more discriminating style. In his new quest, he gave an equal importance to the subject, the design and the light.

He travelled throughout Eruope from 1910 onwards, creating great artworks from his inspiration through his various excursions. He also received multiple sizeable commissions, notably for the “Monument aux aéronautes du dirigeable République” at Trévol in the Allies department. Bouchard also collaborated with Paul Landowsky for the construction of a monumental memorial wall in Geneva, so as to commemorate the reform at the time.

Bouchard remained diligent throughout the inter-war period, he performed numerous sculptures in the twenties including the “High Altar” for the Mount St Michels Abbey. He was then appointed as workshop head professor at the ‘Académie des Beaux-Arts’ of Paris; where he famously taught his students that ‘the best way to not betray the subject is to study it directly.’
He became a member of the Royal Academy of Anvers in which he resumed Bourdelle’s former position. Bouchard finally became a member of the ‘Académie des Beaux-Arts’ of Paris in 1933.

Bouchard participated in the International Exhibition of 1937 by creating 4 immense stone figures of 7.5 meters high as to represent the ‘Apollon Musagète ’. The sculptures can still be appreciated at the patio of the Palais de Chaillot.
Although human aesthetic, religion and mythology were the main themes within his work; highlighted by his exceptional façade at the Saint Pierre de Chaillot, Henri Bouchard did not ignore the animal theme, it was in fact a subject very dear to him. He created animal sculptures with matched talent out of stone, wood, bronze, ivory and tin. However, the horrors of the Second World War interrupted this creative impulse.

After his death in 1960, his heirs were left a considerable quantity of artworks from his studio, it has been since transformed into a Museum. The remaining artworks are now kept in the ‘Musée de la Piscine’ in Roubaix. 

EXHIBITIONS

No items found

PUBLICATIONS

No publication found